Wednesday, May 07, 2008

CNY's Sporty Spring

Early this spring, Cheer New York lit a fire for two sports squads in the city as they went on to win their games. First up was the 2008 Indoor Classic Tournament on Saturday, March 25, at Chelsea Piers. It was the gay soccer league’s biggest event of the year, and we were there to cheer on the New York Ramblers, as well as get the spirits up for about 200 football, er, soccer, players from around the world.


As a Rambler myself, it was the first time my soccer team had seen me in a Cheer New York uniform. (The thing was, I didn't inform every one of my Rambler mates that I had become a cheerleader). But the show had to go on (and I had to front a basket toss), and it turned out amazing! The Ramblers loved the show we provided for them as well as the spirit we brought to the occasion.

A few weeks later, the team cheered on the New York Sharks, the women's tackle football team, at Aviator Field in Brooklyn. We provided cheers and stunts, and got the crowd going by putting up their Shark mascot in an impromptu thigh stand. Many still shouted our cheers as they filed out of the stadium ("jellyfish, goldfish, trout and bass, New York Sharks will kick your a__"), and donated $118 to our spirit buckets. The fierce and sharp New York Sharks almost held a shutout against the Baltimore Nighthawks with a final score of 26-6.


What a way to start out the year for this Cheer New York newbie. I can't wait to cheer on more of our amazing and talented local athletes!- Raymund F.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home